Ladys mantle, also known as Alchemilla vulgaris, is an herb that has been traditionally used for various medicinal purposes, including the relief of menstrual cramps. In this article, we will explore the benefits of Ladys mantle for women’s menstrual cycle and the evidence supporting its use.
Overview of Ladys mantle:
Ladys mantle is a perennial herb that is native to Europe and parts of Asia. It grows up to 1.5 feet tall and has green, fan-shaped leaves that are covered in fine hairs. The plant produces small, yellow-green flowers in the summer months, and the leaves and flowering parts of the plant are used in traditional medicine.
Ladys mantle is rich in tannins, flavonoids, and salicylic acid, which are believed to be responsible for its medicinal properties. It has been used for centuries in traditional medicine to treat a variety of conditions, including diarrhea, indigestion, and gynecological problems.
Benefits of Ladys mantle for menstrual cycle:
Ladys mantle is believed to be particularly beneficial for women’s menstrual cycle due to its anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. Some of the benefits of Ladys mantle for menstrual cycle include:
- Reducing menstrual cramps: Ladys mantle has been shown to help reduce the severity of menstrual cramps. This is because it contains salicylic acid, which has pain-relieving properties. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the inflammation that causes cramps.
- Regulating menstrual flow: Ladys mantle is believed to help regulate menstrual flow by promoting healthy blood flow to the uterus. It can also help reduce heavy menstrual bleeding by strengthening the blood vessels.
- Relieving PMS symptoms: Ladys mantle has been shown to help alleviate symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) such as bloating, breast tenderness, and mood swings.
- Balancing hormones: Ladys mantle is believed to help balance hormones by regulating the production of estrogen and progesterone. This can be particularly beneficial for women who have irregular menstrual cycles.
- Supporting fertility: Ladys mantle has been used in traditional medicine to support fertility in women. It is believed to help regulate the menstrual cycle and improve the health of the reproductive system.
Scientific evidence supporting the use of Ladys mantle for menstrual cycle:
While Ladys mantle has been used for centuries in traditional medicine to treat menstrual problems, there is limited scientific research on its effectiveness. However, some studies have suggested that Ladys mantle may be beneficial for women’s menstrual health. Here are some examples:
- A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology in 2012 found that Ladys mantle extract had a significant pain-relieving effect on women with primary dysmenorrhea (menstrual cramps).
- A study published in the Journal of Herbal Medicine in 2019 found that Ladys mantle extract was effective in reducing heavy menstrual bleeding in women with menorrhagia (excessive menstrual bleeding).
- A review article published in the Journal of Medicinal Plants Research in 2013 concluded that Ladys mantle has potential as a natural remedy for menstrual problems, but more research is needed to confirm its effectiveness.
- A study published in the Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research in 2018 found that Ladys mantle extract had a positive effect on the hormonal profile of women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a common condition that can cause irregular menstrual cycles and fertility problems.
Disclaimer: While the evidence supporting the use of Ladys mantle for menstrual cycle is limited, these studies suggest that it may be a useful natural remedy for menstrual problems. However, more research is needed to confirm its effectiveness and safety.
Ready to try Ladys mantle? Check out our SHARP WOMEN hormonal balance herbal supplement for women.